March is a month of change. Snow can cover the ground on the first of the month, and a couple of weeks later it can be warm enough for flower growth. March is the time of year to begin cleaning up your yard and preparing it for warmer weather. Here is a list of things that should be done to spruce up your yard.
1. Clean up fallen leaves and sticks from lawn areas and beds. This material can be added to a compost pile.
2. Prune dead and winter damaged branches. Be sure to use sharp pruners to make a clean cut. Summer flowering shrubs can be pruned at this time, but wait to prune spring bloomers (like Forsythia) until after they flower.
3. Divide and cut back perennials including decorative grasses for a cleaner look.
4. Fertilize shrubs and flowers at this time.
5. Repair damaged lawn areas by adding new soil, if needed, and seed. The soil temperature needs to be at least 50 degrees to get germination (this may not happen until April). Also, a seed starter mulch is beneficial to keep the seed moist.
6. Clean up hardscape surfaces. Repair heaved pavers and refill joints.
John Mikulik, Owner
Mikulik Lawn and Landscape is a landscape maintenance, design, construction, and fertilizer/pesticide application company. We are proud to provide services to both residential and commercial clients in Northern New Jersey and Orange County, New York.